"In 2020, I won my competitive re-election bid in New Jersey’s 7th Congressional District against one of the Republican Party’s top national recruits, State Senate Minority Leader Tom Kean Jr, by just 1.2%. With the help of my supporters, I was able to keep a seat that the GOP had held for over 30 years - allowing us to hold on to a seat that represents 1/4th of our narrow House majority.
With signs continuing to point towards a rematch with Tom Kean Jr in 2022, my race is expected to once again be a battleground against a well-financed and well-known GOP opponent — one that could decide whether we keep or lose our House majority in the middle of President Biden’s first term.
We have two years to prove that government can work for the people of our country and to build a campaign that allows us to keep moving forward. With your continued support, I’ll be able to keep doing my part."
Tom Malinowski was assistant secretary of state for human rights in the Obama administration and worked for the Human Rights Watch. He served on President Bill Clinton's National Security Council, focusing on conflicts in the Balkans in the 1990s. He was a Rhodes Scholar and immigrated from Poland when he was six years old.
TOM ON THE ISSUES
• "I'm proud to have the support of NARAL Pro-Choice America members and share their belief that reproductive rights are human rights." (Facebook)
• Rated 100% by Planned Parenthood (votesmart.org)
• “…we need a comprehensive, long-term answer to our health care challenges. … I will champion a Medicare Option for All. … If every American had the option to buy into Medicare through their employer or the individual market, with support for those who need it, the result would be more competition and lower costs, as well as a pathway to decent health care coverage for all." (votesmart.org)
• Endorsed by End Citizens United. (votesmart.org)
• "We must maintain a strong military to deter potential adversaries, but also strong diplomacy so that we don't have to use our military all of the time. I will support our State Department and our front-line diplomats, making sure they have the funding they need to do their jobs." (votesmart.org)
• "As a member of Congress, I will have no more urgent priority than securing the investments we need to build and maintain the roads, bridges, railways and tunnels … to preserve our quality of life and competitiveness." (votesmart.org)
• "This week Tom joined over 150 colleagues to introduce the 100% Clean Economy Act, which sets a nationwide goal of achieving a 100% clean energy economy by 2050. This vital bill not only addresses the climate crisis, but also strengthens our economy and public health." (twitter)
• Voted in favor of HR 6 - American Dream and Promise Act of 2019. (votesmart.org)
• "It's time to pass common sense gun safety laws, reinstate the assault weapons ban, and get gun money out of politics." (www.facebook.com)
• "I fully support the extension of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, because by any common measure, DREAMers are Americans.” (votesmart.org)
• “I believe the United States must continue to stand by Israel, and that we should work with our allies to maintain pressure on Iran to dismantle its nuclear program, while increasing pressure to stop Iran's support for terrorism and missile development...." (votesmart.org)
POLITICS IN NEW JERSEY
• First elected in 2018, defeating Republican incumbent Leonard Lance by five points.
• Prior to 2018, the district had been represented by a Republican since 1981.
• As incumbent, Malinowski barely defeated a strong Republican challenger, Thomas Kean Jr., the son of a former governor.
• Both the Democratic and Republican Congressional committees targeted the district in 2020 and are likely to do so again in 2022.
• Committee on Foreign Affairs
• Subcommittee on Middle East, North Africa, and International Terrorism
• Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, and Global Human Rights
• Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure
• Subcommittee on Railroads, Pipelines, and Hazardous Materials
• Subcommittee on Water Resources and Environment
• Committee on Homeland Security
• Subcommittee on Intelligence and Counterterrorism