2020 margin: 3.2%
Biden\Trump margin: 1.7%
to Tom's Campaign
"I am proud to represent Arizona’s 1st Congressional District, which encompasses much of the northeastern part of the state outside Phoenix and Tucson and includes the Navajo Nation, the Hopi reservation, and the Gila River Indian Community. Since I was first elected to Congress, I have led on critical issues impacting Native American tribes, as well as rural and underserved communities. My focus is on economic development opportunities across Arizona. I have worked to expand access to affordable health care, develop broadband infrastructure, support veterans, and promote tribal sovereignty.
Last cycle, I won by just 10,000 votes, one of the closest House races in the country. The NRCC has identified me as one of their top targets for the midterms, and Republican super PACs are already flooding the district with dark money and attack ads against me. With one of the most expensive media markets in the nation, and Republicans already attacking us, we need to make sure we have the resources to fight back and get out our message."
O’Halleran joined the city of Chicago police force in 1966 and was promoted to officer and sergeant before being commissioned as a homicide investigator. He joined the Chicago Board of Trade in 1979 and served two terms on its board of directors. He moved to Arizona upon retirement.
O’HALLERAN ON THE ISSUES
• Endorsed and rated 100% by Planned Parenthood Action Fund
• “Reform tax code so that the wealthiest pay their fair share of taxes…we need a bottom-up overhaul of the tax code that is fair to everyone.” (tomohalleran.com)
• Endorsed by End Citizens United
• Voted in favor of HR 7120, George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2020 (votesmart.org)
• “Wages simply haven’t kept up with the cost of living, and those with the lowest income levels have been hit the hardest. I support increasing the minimum wage to a level that allows for a livable wage.” (tomohalleran.com)
• Rated 100% by National Education Association
• “There is no reason that teachers across America should be some of the lowest paid professionals in the workforce. Their jobs are critical to the economic vitality of our country.” (twitter.com)
• “…every corner of our state has felt the effects of climate
change. ...we have more work to do to invest in renewable energy infrastructure especially in rural parts of the country.” (votesmart.org)
• Rated 0% by National Rifle Association
• “Tom supports immigration reform that serves our border, keeps families together, and meets the needs of our economy. He fully supports the DREAM ACT…” (tomohalleran.com)
POLITICS IN ARIZONA
• First elected to Congress in 2016 by a better than 7-point margin in an R+2 district. Re-elected in 2018 by a similar margin. He won in 2020 by just over 3 points.
• Switched parties after disagreeing with how the Republican party handled education, water, and child welfare issues.
• Co-chair for Communications
• Rural Broadband Caucus, Co-Chair
• Congressional Native American Caucus
• Problem Solvers Caucus
• Law Enforcement Caucus
• Labor and Working Families Caucus
• Congressional Chemistry Caucus
• Impact Aid Coalition
• Animal Protection Caucus
• Safe Climate Caucus
• Pre-K Caucus
• ALS Caucus
• Aluminum Caucus
• Bipartisan Task Force to End Sexual Violence
• Bipartisan Heroin Task Force
• House Rural Broadband Task Force
• Women Veterans Task Force