Cartwright has served in Congress since 2013. He started as a self-described “FDR Democrat from the Democratic wing of the Democratic party.” He received his BA from Hamilton College, Magna Cum Laude and his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania where he served two years as editor of the Law Review.
Cartwright attended the London School of Economics and is co-author of Litigating Business and Commercial Tort Cases, 2011-present. He volunteered with a number of organizations including Boy Scouts of America, Hope Center legal Clinic, and Victims’ Compensation Fund. His law practice primarily represented consumers and small businesses in litigation.
CARTWRIGHT ON THE ISSUES
• Voted against the Republican-sponsored American Health Care Act and supports the ACA and Medicare for all
• Supports net neutrality
• Strongly criticized the Trump tax cut
• Introduced legislation supporting energy efficiency; supports government funding for development of renewable energy; supports federal regulation of greenhouse gas emissions.
• During his first month in office, Cartwright co-sponsored four gun control bills. He opposes gun-makers legal immunity after a crime has occurred and opposes assault rifle sales.
• Supports removing barriers to international trade
• Some of his 100% ratings are from: NARAL Pro Choice, National Farmers Union, Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund, Humane Society Legislative Action Fund, American Library Association, Public Citizen, Human Rights Campaign, Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, Hispanic Federation, NETEWORK- A National Catholic Social Justice Lobby, NEA, Federally Employed Women, American Association of University Women, National Active and Retired Employees Association, Clean Water America, League of Conservation Voters, Council on American-Islamic Relations, Bread for the World, Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, American Public health Association, multiple labor unions and trade associations, Battle for the Net.
POLITICS IN PENNSYLVANIA + DISTRICT 07
• Pennsylvania’s 8th Congressional District is in the northeastern portion of the state comprising all or parts of five counties. The district is a mix of rural and urban communities with Scranton and Wilkes- Barre the major urban centers. It is predominantly white and middle class: 79.5% white, 12.4% Hispanic, 6 % Black, 2 % Asian and .1% Native American.
• Democrats in the district are populist leaning.
• Significantly, the district is the second most Republican-learning district held by a Democrat and the most Republican-leaning district held by a member of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, based on the Cook Partisan voting Index.
• Cartwright won in 2020 with 51.8% of the vote with a 3.6% margin. Pennsylvania’s 8th was carried by Trump in 2020. Cartwright was thus one of only seven incumbent Democrats to win a seat carried by Trump.
• Co-chair of the Democratic Policy and the Communications Committee
• Member of the House Democratic Committee on Steering and Policy.
• Chair of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, and Science and Reflated Agencies
• Vice-Chair of the Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government
• Subcommittee on Interior, Environment and Related Agencies.
• House Military Depot and Industrial Facilities
• Sustainable Energy and Environment Coalition,
• Conservation Veterinary Medicine
• Climate Solutions
• Blue Collar