"Maine’s 2nd District is the largest district east of the Mississippi River and second most rural district in the nation. It’s also the most conservative district in New England. In fact, with the loss of several Trump-district Democrats in the last election, I now represent the most Republican district of any Democrat in Congress.
House Republican Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy has publicly stated that my district is one of three top targets for Republicans in 2022, and he is actively working to recruit a challenger who, like my predecessor, will vote strictly along party lines. No other Democrat has won this district since 2012, including candidates for Senate and Governor. I believe the key to winning here is pretty simple: represent the best interests of the entire community even if that means sometimes going against my own party.
There is no doubt my Republican opponent in 2022 will be well funded. Republicans only need five seats to take back a majority, and in their view the path to victory runs through Maine’s 2nd District."
Golden was a Marine for four years, serving tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He graduated from Bates College in 2011. Golden returned to Afghanistan as a volunteer teacher, then worked as a staffer for Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) on the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. When he entered the state House, Golden became the assistant majority leader of the chamber.
ON THE ISSUES
• "… I believe every woman has the right to make her own healthcare decisions. Family planning options, including contraception, should be accessible and affordable to all women, regardless of income or insurance. I also firmly believe that Washington politicians have no business being involved in the private medical choices made between a woman and her healthcare professional." (jaredgoldenforcongress.com)
• 100% Rating - ProChoice America (2019)
• Voted in favor of HR 7120- George Floyd Justice in Policing Act 0f 2020 (votesmart.org)
• “I believe the key to true campaign finance reform lies in ending Citizens United either by a constitutional amendment or by another Supreme Court ruling superseding the previous decision." (jaredgoldenforcongress.com)
• Endorsed by End Citizens United.
• “’…invest in infrastructure to help Maine's rural economy. In addition to repairing our roads and bridges, the federal government must prioritize expanding broadband and bringing faster Internet to our communities so all Mainers can compete in the 21st century economy." (jaredgoldenforcongress.com)
• "Grow the renewable energy sector. With proper investment we can reduce electricity costs, lower carbon emissions, and create high-quality, good-paying jobs." (jaredgoldenforcongress.com)
• "To keep firearms out of the hands of criminal offenders, we need to strictly enforce the background check system already in place and provide it with the resources necessary to work. I support increased funding for the NICS system to improve and automate the process, eliminate backlogs, and reduce human error. I will oppose efforts to erode our existing background check system because I know that most Mainers support this system and want it to work effectively and efficiently." (votesmart.org)
• "We can start by improving the Affordable Care Act. From there, we need to move towards a universal healthcare system, like Medicare-for-All. Too many people in America are without adequate healthcare coverage, resulting in higher premiums for those who are insured." (jaredgoldenforcongress.com)
• Voted in favor of HR 986 - Protecting Americans with
• Preexisting Conditions Act of 2019. (votesmart.org)
• 100% Rating – Clean Water Action (2019)
• 100% Rating- National Education Association (2019)
• 97% Rating – League of Conservation Voters (2019)
• Backed legislation to keep the United States in the Paris Climate Agreement.
• Supported the Land and Water Conservation Fund, our nation’s most successful program for protecting public lands and parks.
• Supported legislation to fully fund the Environmental Protection Agency.
• Championed legislation to address the maintenance backlog at our national parks.
• Received a 95% score —one of the highest in the nation— from the League of Conservation Voters for his environmental leadership on behalf of ME-02.
POLITICS IN MAINE
• This seat is the most Republican seat held by a Democrat. It will be heavily targeted by Republicans as they seek to reclaim the majority in the House.
• Golden was first elected in 2018. He defeated incumbent Bruce Poliquin (R) 50.6% to 49.4%.
• No incumbent had lost an election for Maine's 2nd District seat since 1916. In 2020, he defeated Dale Crafts (R) and write-in candidates Daniel Fowler (D) and Timothy Hernandez (D).
• Golden, campaigning as bipartisan, is one of only a few Democrats who prevailed in districts that Trump won.
House Armed Services Committee
• Seapower and Projection Forces Subcommittee
• Tactical Air and Land Forces Subcommittee
House Small Business Committee
• Chairman of the Contracting and Infrastructure Subcommittee
Appalachian Trail Caucus
End Corruption Caucus
LGBT Equality Caucus
Military Mental Health Task Force
National Service Caucus
Navy and Marine Corps Caucus
Paper and Packaging Caucus
Primary Care Caucus
Small Brewers Caucus
Working Forests Caucus