“I’m running for re-election because with so much on the line for Pennsylvania’s working families, I want to keep delivering results ... There’s still more work to cut through the gridlock, stand up to powerful corporate special interests + make the lives of hardworking Pennsylvanians a little bit easier.” (cnn.com, 4/10/23)
BACKGROUND + EXPERIENCE
Born and raised in Scranton, PA + the son of former Pennsylvania Governor Bob Casey Sr., Sen. Casey graduated from The College of the Holy Cross (BA) + The Columbus School of Law at Catholic University of America (JD). Between college + law school, he served as a member of the Jesuit Volunteer Corps + taught 5th grade in inner-city Philadelphia. He practiced law from 1991 to 1996 + was elected Pennsylvania Auditor General in 1996 + re-elected in 2000. Casey was elected State Treasurer in 2004. In ‘06, he defeated two-term Republican incumbent Rick Santorum for a US Senate seat with 59% of the votes.
Casey was re-elected in 2012 + 2018 and in the process became the first Democrat to win a third consecutive term representing Pennsylvania. As senator, he was one of the earliest supporters + endorsers of Barack Obama for Democratic presidential nominee in 2008. For much of his political career, Sen. Casey has been an “even keeled moderate, not only in tone but in policy.” (Wikipedia) He has been a strong + constant critic of Trump’s policies + behavior during + after his presidency.
ON THE ISSUES
Examples of Sen. Casey’s legislative priorities include:
• Major advocate for children throughout his career. His Five Freedoms for America’s Children agenda defines much of his work in the Senate. Its focus is on freedom to be healthy, freedom to be economically secure, freedom to learn, freedom from hunger + freedom to be safe from harm.
• Fighting for equal rights under the law for all people. This includes reforming + addressing systemic racism in our legal system, ensuring people with disabilities have the opportunities + access available to all Americans, voting rights + advancing + protecting civil rights.
• Current threats of the climate crisis + the need for climate action now. He has taken a strong position on addressing the legacy of environmental injustice suffered by marginalized communities.
• A national security strategy protecting our vital interests including deterrence + self-defense + cyber insecurity as a threat to our military + economic safety.
• On key domestic issues, Sen. Casey advocates for combatting the gun violence epidemic + supporting survivors + families, fighting for access to affordable, quality health care for all + honoring the nation's debt to veterans.
POLIITCS IN PENNSYLVANIA
Pennsylvania is widely considered a “purple” battleground state in presidential politics. Biden carried the state by 1.2% in 2020. Both US Senators are Democrats: Casey + John Fetterman who was elected in 2022. The governor, the majority of the state’s US House of Representative delegation + the majority of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives are Democrats.
Though Republicans not yet settled on a candidate, the front runner appears to be David McCormick, former Under Secretary of the Treasury for International Affairs + former CEO of the hedge fund firm Bridgewater Associates. The Pennsylvania primary will be held April 23.
COMMITTEES + CAUCUSES (2023-2024)
• Health, Education, Labor + Pensions
• Subcommittee on Children + Families (Chair)
• Subcommittee on Employment + Workplace Safety
• Special Committee on Aging (Chair)
• Select Committee on Intelligence
• Subcommittee on Health Care
• Subcommittee on International Trade, Customs +Global Competitiveness
• Subcommittee of Social Security, Pensions + Family Policy